This article will help you understand whether it is reasonable for you to invest in Flutter development based on the experience of other companies. Thus, we offer you to see our top 10 interesting Flutter app examples to learn how some companies used the framework in their practice. You will also explore the advantages and disadvantages that programmers and business owners may face while using this technology.
What Is Flutter?
Flutter is a young and fast-growing technology that has recently become the center of attention of various companies. Google presented the first version of Flutter in 2015 with the two main goals:
- to replace the traditional layout model used in cross-platform development on the whole;
- to increase the app rendering speed from 60 to 120 FPS.
Back in 2015, Flutter had a codename Sky and ran apps only on the Android OS. By the end of 2018, the company launched the stable version of the framework. Now, it allows rendering some apps with the stated 120 FPS speed and running them on both iOS and Android platforms. The Flutter SDK is also the only toolkit used for developing apps running on Google Fuchsia OS. In 2019, thousands of people started to actively use the apps made with this technology. Our list of top 10 apps built with Flutter will help you understand how developers create UIs with this technology and make it attractive for users.
Top 10 Apps Made with Flutter
Using Flutter, developers can create simplistic applications with interactive multimedia support. They usually are 2D apps with high-performance animations and simple mobile games. Programmers can also develop full-featured applications able to easily access device capabilities (such as storage, network, camera, geolocation, third-party tools, etc.). The types of applications powered with Flutter mostly include:
- Apps using Business Intelligence tools;
- Banking apps;
- Credit card managers;
- Wallets and money exchange systems;
- 2D games (puzzles, doodles, etc.);
- Social media aggregators;
- Audio, video, and photo editors;
- Tracking applications;
- Markenline shopping apps;
- News aggregators;
- Task managers;
- Music players, and so forth.
Although it’s been only a year since Google Flutter appearance, the apps created with this framework are already on top positions in different categories on Google Play and App Store. To understand how companies currently use the framework in their products, let’s make a review of the 10 most interesting apps built with Flutter. The applications for this top were chosen from the official Flutter showcase page and the additional resource provided by the Flutter community – “It’s All Widgets!”.
1. Google Ads
Google Ads helps users set ad campaigns to attract the target audience to their brand and, hence, boost sales. The app creators used Flutter to implement the Material Design elements inside the user interface. Google Ads provides users with various statistical data, and Flutter makes it possible to display it via the comprehensible set of data visualization tools. The framework capabilities make the application look neat and allow users to focus on the app functionalities.
The Hamilton mobile app was created for the fans of Hamilton Broadway Musical. It includes a variety of multimedia such as shareable stickers, exclusive videos, slideshows about the cast, the karaoke feature, etc. Flutter was used to ensure the smooth work of various multimedia functionalities and the UI. Users can record audio and stream videos of them singing the interactive karaoke tracks from the musical. A HamCam functionality enables camera filters that let users turn into any character of the show. Other features enabled with Flutter also include a merch platform, a ticket lottery, and a trivia game.
Realtor.com Real Estate Search is a popular Flutter-powered app that helps people find houses for sale or rent in the USA. The app uses Flutter geolocation plugins to display available houses and apartments on the US map. If users give permission to access their location, the app displays house options nearby. Realtor.com provides users with housing prices diagrams to make change tracking possible. Flutter provides this app with data visualization tools, mapping functionality, photo support and graphical components such as price range sliders, blocks, etc.
4. Insight Timer
Currently, Insight Timer is one of the most popular meditation and sleep Flutter apps. The apps’ UI is designed to store the large library of exercises, guided meditations, music tracks and ambient sounds for relaxation. It also maintains various video files, supports a meditation timer functionalities, provides users with progress statistics and allows integration with other health applications on the user’s phone or wearable devices.
Topline is a Flutter-powered application published by the famous Abbey Road Studios recording hub under the slogan: “Designed by musicians for musicians”. This is a voice memo application for singers and songwriters that’s mainly used for making “raw” audio materials. Flutter makes it possible to integrate third-party cloud storages into the app, so to save audio records, a user can connect to Dropbox, Google Cloud or other cloud services. The Topline user interface was made simplistic to let users make a quick recording of their song idea and edit them on the go.
Kalium is a BANANO cryptocurrency wallet that lets users make secure, fast, and chargeless transactions. The app developers used Flutter to build a minimalistic design and ensure a convenient user experience. The Kalium’s UI correlates well with the apps’ functionalities, so a user can personalize and handle multiple accounts, receive real-time notifications, view transaction history, work with 30 different currency conversions, and more.
Reflectly is a personal journal app based on the AI system. Flutter ensures smooth page transitions, high-performance animations and correct interaction between the UI and AI technology. The AI bot asks users personalized questions and helps them create stories. Thanks to Flutter capabilities, a user can follow their mood charts based on data gathered with Artificial Intelligence. These charts display the factors causing different emotions in users’ lives to help them analyze their behavior.
8. Groupon Merchant
This is an all-in-one discount application that helps merchants manage their special offers and shopping deals for clothes, beauty products, food, travel offers, hotel & spa services, special events, and entertainment. The app developers integrated Flutter into the existing Groupon Merchant application in May 2018. They added Flutter submodules into the native platform to create new voucher redemption and detailed payment data visualization functionalities.
9. PostMuse Editor
PostMuse is an Instagram photo editor flavor that helps users create attractive posts and stories. It’s a constructor-type app that includes story templates, typography features, text editor, frames, shapes, filters, color harmonies, and more. Besides ensuring the no-delay UI, Flutter provides users with a full range of multimedia features, graphical components, quick access to the device features and integration with Unsplash stock photo service and Instagram.
Hookle is a social media aggregator that allows users to manage their accounts on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and other social networks in one app. It was created as an SMM tool for small business needs. Flutter provides easy access to the device functionalities such as a gallery, camera, microphone, etc. to enable easy post creation, file sharing, and feedback tracking. The platform also offers the Social Splash feature for monitoring every social channel, check business performance and view the competitors’ performance.
Benefits of Flutter Framework
When developing Flutter, Google aimed at replacing traditional cross-platform app architecture with the simpler one and using Dart as a single language for coding to enable the Ahead-of-Time (AoT) compilation. The AoT compiling makes it possible to dynamically execute binary files in a native manner. The company successfully achieved this aim, which made the framework beneficial for entrepreneurs and convenient for developers. Thus, the advantages of Flutter are:
- Cross-platform development. The ability to build apps running on both Android and iOS is an undeniable advantage of Flutter. With this solution, business owners don’t have to control two separate teams that specialize in building an app for two platforms. One team is enough to create a cross-platform app with Flutter, which means you can cut costs and save time.
- Native Feel and Performance. The Skia 2D graphics library helps developers create fast-responsive apps with neat glitch-free graphics at the native speed of a mobile device. The Dart language enables compilation to binary code, which allows reaching the operational speed just like that of the native languages of iOS (Objective-C or Swift) and Android (Java or Kotlin).
- Faster development cycles. Sometimes, the development process can be slow because programmers must compile the entire application every time they change it. With Flutter, a developer can save the app’s state and update it in less than a second with hot reload. This feature allows adding the updated files to the Dart Virtual Machine (VM) and, as the VM reloads, the framework rebuilds all widgets automatically.
- User-friendly and eye-pleasing UI. Android and iOS differ by the element layouts, so it can be difficult for a developer to create the same look of an app for both operating systems. With Flutter, a developer can make apps UIs look the same with the layered structure and pixel-perfect rendering of the UI elements.
- Customizable widgets. Flutter doesn’t use native components. That means that a developer doesn’t need to use a bridge to provide communication between the native UI and code thread. A set of Flutter widgets includes Material Design elements for Android apps and the Cupertino library that helps implement specific design components for the iOS platform. Any element – be it a button, text, background, or media – is drawn only with Flutter capabilities.
- Easy integration into an existing app. A development team can add the Flutter packages or use its module template as a library in the existing codebase. This enables the team to improve native or non-native apps with new UI components and functions like it was with the Groupon Merchant application.
Disadvantages of Flutter
It’s been only a year since programmers started to use Flutter capabilities in full, so there’s no surprise that the framework has its flaws. They include:
- Young technology. Since this technology is relatively new, some companies fairly distrust it. Still, the technology matures rapidly and has a high potential to win the entire market in a couple of years.
- Small developer community. Since the Flutter community has just started to grow, the framework has only basic libraries that help with app creation. There’s a need for engaging more people in Flutter app development to share their experience and provide additional packages and libraries for solving specific problems.
Flutter provides developers with a wide range of built-in tools that help them create apps faster and easier. It has a unique architecture, offers a powerful pixel-perfect rendering engine, and doesn’t use any traditional web technologies. The Dart language makes it possible to build simplistic 2D applications and games with high-performance animations. Flutter-powered apps stay simple but are able to handle great loads of multimedia and provide easy access to device features.
Despite all the advantages of Flutter, there are two groups of people that have different attitudes towards it. The first group wants to try this technology because they like the idea of Dart and a faster rendering engine. Others mistrust this technology because they think it has yet to mature. What group to select for yourself is up to you. However, if you are in search of a solution for your product right now, you can contact us to get assistance on mobile development and learn more about our expertise.